Today’s my birthday!
Today I’m 19 years old. It’s unusual- I feel like it’s been a long time coming… I feel like in the last year I got so much done. For one, I was finally able to go out with my friends. Which isn’t the be all and end all, obviously, but it’s nice to be able to have the option.
I’ve always been the baby of my friends, and whilst I was still raving about finally being legal, they were all turning 19. I’m excited for the next year, for my last year in the “teen” years.
I think I’ve learned a lot in the last 19 years, primarily over the last year or two.
- Not everyone is always going to be for you.
Let’s face it- there’s going to be some people that will never like me for no real reason. That’s just life. And I’m fine with that, finally. I’d like to think of myself as a pretty friendly person, and so it’s taken me a long time to accept that not everyone is going to find me as likeable as the next person.
- I like being independent.
I don’t want to be misinterpreted here, but I really love doing my own thing. Living close to a city has thought me how easy it is to actually be independent, compared to living in the countryside. I do love the countryside, but seeing as I still haven’t learned how to drive I depend quite a lot on people to get me from A to B, and I hate that!
- Bus Eireann is an awful service, and I need to learn to drive asap.
I guess two links into three. Bus Eireann is in a world of its own, and the real-time app isn’t the most reliable, I don’t know how many times I’ve been late through the fault of Bus Eireann. And I simply can’t stand being late.
- Fashion is fun.
I’ve only realized recently how fun fashion can be. I have never thought of myself as the most fashionable, and I still don’t think I’m that fashionable, but I have developed a new love for pretty clothes, and dressing up in skirts and dresses and the likes! What’s better is with shops such as Penneys, and Stradivarius fashion can be cheap still too, which is ideal on a student budget!
- Do what makes you happy, and don’t worry about how this will sit with others.
Again, something that has taken me my whole life to actually accept is that the decisions you choose should be for you primarily. I’m the worst decision maker ever. I’m the most indecisive person ever, and that is mainly because I worry too much what others will think.
- I have amazing friends, and I am extremely lucky and grateful for each and every one of them.
I’ve really come to love and adore my friendship group. I’ve never been the most popular gal around, and that’s totally fine, because the friends I have right now are people I see in my life for a long time to come. Starting University, and leaving Secondary School has thought me that friendships aren’t about who you’ve known the longest, and that’s the truth.
- Now, at 19 is the time for me to mess up. Sure, what will I have to talk about when I’m in a nursing home when I’ve my life lived? I’m sure the times I made the biggest fuck ups will be the stories that get circulated more than the times I was boring and didn’t live life to the fullest.
This is pretty much thanks to Eimear, lol.
- Having an actual skincare routine is life-changing.
I’ve developed a new-found love for skincare, and though I’m still learning the experimentation process is fun!
- The gym can actually be fun. Not just running in for 20 minutes on the treadmill, but an actual workout with other stuff!
I joined the gym last year. I never really did much other than the treadmill, up until about a week ago. I’ve always been telling myself I’d do other stuff that the treadmill, and with the assistance of Eimear we did a proper, mixed workout, and I enjoyed it so much!
- Seize every opportunity that comes your way.
I was told this by a friend of the landlady of my house last year, and it’s actually kinda stuck with me. Again, going back to 7, why not? If not now, then when?
- Being organized is an actual skill in its own.
A skill that I doubt I’ll ever truly accomplish, no matter how many notebooks, diaries or planners I keep. They help, but they just kinda create an illusion that I’m more organized than I actually am.
- Planning ahead is a godsend that would help me be more organized if I planned ahead more often.
- Everything happens for a reason.
- Pinterest is an amazing website.
- I need to culture myself more. I do not watch next to enough tv series or movies.
I need to invest in Netflix, I need to watch more vines, and look at more memes.
- Jamie Genevieve is an amazing human being.
I’ve only recently begun watching her vlogs, and I think it’s fair to say I’m slightly obsessed with the Scottish beauty.
- I should not be left leave the house without a fully charged battery pack… or two.
How many times a day do I say, “My phone’s nearly dead”? Several times a day, and that’s not an exaggeration. Big shout out to the legend that created battery packs.
- Make use of every photo opp that comes your way.
Another life lesson I’ve learned from Eimear. It’s amazing, the beauty behind things if you just look a little harder. Recently, I’ve begun taking more photos. General photos of day to day things such as the Ferris Wheel in Limerick City shining bright at night, or a nice bright day just makes my blog feel more interactive. I’m mad to get my own camera, and hopefully, I’ll have one by the end of the year.
- I’m still learning.
- Not everyone is always going to be for you.
Refer back to number 7 again– hmm, number 7 seems the basis of the lessons I’ve learned so far.
19 things I’ve learned in 19 years, as a lil’ celebration of my 19 birthday! So much has happened in the last year, and it’s great to be able to reflect sometimes!